Thursday 23 June 2016

Potty Training


Potty training is quite frankly a minefield.... sometimes literally!  

I thought it would be easy, put your child on a potty and they promptly wee or poo as needed.  Hmm, OK maybe I wasn't that naive, but that would have been the ideal response in an ideal world!

We have been trying to practise every day since the weather got warmer.  Off come the clothes and nappy every day for a few hours, or as Lizzie calls it "Nudey girl time".  She then plays as normal, while we sit on the edge of our seats waiting to grab the potty and put her on it if she starts to wee.  Obviously we've had a few accidents and little puddles on the carpet, but do you think we've managed to get any in the actual potty...No!

For a while she refused to sit on the potty, so we decided to try the toilet instead.  She thought it was great and she climbed up and down on her own, with her special stool and seat.  She has done a poo on it, although I think that was a lucky catch.  But recently she's refusing to sit on the toilet, crying when I even mention it.  She nearly always comes into the toilet with me, but doesn't want a turn.  I don't push it, I don't want to put her off completely.

So, we've gone back to the potty after a little break from it.  She quite likes to sit on it at the moment, but still no wee.  It's amazing how long she can go without an accident.  She holds onto it until the nappy goes back on.  We even bought some little knickers for her to wear, to show her what a big girl she is now.  She loves them and they do help catch any accidents before the carpet gets ruined completely, so worth it I guess.

We'll keep practising and I guess she'll get the hang of it... after all you don't see many adults in nappies, so I guess we all learn eventually!

No comments:

Post a Comment